The sun was splitting the rocks on both of our sports days this year. To comply with Covid restrictions we split the school in half and kept year groups on either side of the track. The students all cheered on their house performers and the atmosphere was electric. There was great support and encouragement for all competitors and some impressive school records were broken!
International Clothes Day
What an amazing way to end this remarkable year by celebrating diversity on our penultimate day of term. Students dressed in traditional clothing, wore the colours of their flags or wore International sports kits to represent the cultures and countries of the world. Well done to the Prefects who came up with this idea to raise money and introduced cultural food week last week. All money raised has been shared between the newly formed PTA and a budget for future culture and diversity activities and projects.
The year 9 PE BTEC students had a wonderful trip to Go Ape. The students demonstrated impressive team work and resilience creating adventures and encouraging each other to live life adventurously. The students had great fun swinging through the trees on the adventure course. Thank you to Ms Odlum for organising this brilliant trip.
Steel Pans Workshop
On the same day as our International Clothes Day the whole of Year 7 were treated to Steel Pans Workshops where they got to learn new skills and were able to perform to their class mates and teachers. We look forward to welcoming back Ms Nelson next year when she will be offering Steel Pans club after school.
Being prepared for September
DFE guidance update
The main highlights from the Department of Education are that when we return from the summer break;
- There will no longer be the need for bubbles- Students will be taught in their specialist teaching areas and we will no longer need to have separate bubble areas for teaching, events or recreational time
- There will no longer be a requirement to wear face masks
- The majority of normal extra-curricular activities and trips can resume
- When your child returns in September, they will carry out 2 LFD tests but regular testing will not take place on site.
- The isolation rules have changed significantly, schools will no longer carry out contact tracing, and therefore large groups will no longer need to isolate.
- Higher standards of hygiene and increased ventilation will remain in place as part of an updated Risk Assessment
We are incredibly optimistic that these changes to national guidance will allow us to offer the activities we have all missed so much, in particular our house activities and house events.
The full DFE guidance can be found here and is summarised below. The new guidance comes into place from step 4, which is 19th July, with the exception of self-isolation changes, which come into force from 16th August.
September return dates 2021
- Thursday 2nd September is a Teacher Inset Day
- Friday 3rd September is Year 7 and Year 11 Only
- Monday 6th September all years return to a full timetable.
Wishing you all the very best summer holiday. We hope you stay safe and well and come back refreshed to face the challenges and exciting opportunities ahead.
To see our full newsletter please click here: Pastorale-Volume-18-Issue-34.pdf