|Tiers of Entry||Single|
Photography is an exciting creative, visual art subject that uses modern technology. You will learn how to take digital photographs using SLR cameras. You will develop photographic skills such as composition, light, movement, colour and balance. These observation photographs will be mounted into your ‘Photography Sketchbook’. You will be taught how to analyse artists and photographers work and use this knowledge to develop your own ideas. The majority of the work is on the computer and you will learn how to use Photoshop.
Photo shoots on location in London will take place in yr10 and yr11. There are lots of opportunities to enter competitions and have your work displayed in local exhibitions, restaurants, libraries, theatres and galleries.
Assessment of Course
The GCSE course is made up of:
Unit 1 : Coursework projects worth 60% of your final grade
Unit 2 : Exam worth 40% of your final grade
You will be assessed on the following criteria
- AO1: Develop ideas through investigations informed by contextual and other sources, demonstrating analytical and cultural understanding. (25%)
- AO2: Refine their ideas through experimenting and selecting appropriate resources, media, materials, techniques and processes. (25%)
- AO3: Record ideas, observations and insights relevant to their intentions in visual and/or other forms. (25%)
- AO4: Present a personal, informed and meaningful response demonstrating analytical and critical understanding, realising intentions and, where appropriate, making connections between visual, written, oral or other elements. (25%)
Coursework details: Unit 1
- Coursework will be divided into two projects
- Coursework is worth 60% of the final grade
All students are required to keep Photography sketchbooks for each of their coursework projects. 75 / 100 marks will be awarded for sketchbook work. The sketchbook must contain evidence of:
- Observation Photographs
- Artists / photographers context & analysis
- Development of students’ ideas using Photoshop
- Final plan for big piece
A final big piece will be awarded 25 /100 marks
Unit 2 External Exam project will be sent from the exam board and handed to students in February of Year 11. Students will have eight weeks to prepare their photography sketchbook. Students will have two days to make their final big piece after Easter in Year 11.
Progression from this examination:
- A Level Photography or Art at sixth form college
- Advanced Vocational Certificate of Education (VCE) at college
- BTEC National Diploma at college
- Foundation Course at University of Arts
- Honours Degree Courses at University of Arts
- Master Degree courses at University of Arts
Games Designer, Animation & Film, Web Designer, Documentary Photographer, Fashion Photographer, Artist, Advertising, Architecture, Graphic Artist, Television and many more.
Further Information: Please see Mrs Raymond, Head of Visual Arts
You can also download a PDF of this information from this page